Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First Thoughts

Two weeks. It’s very hard for us to believe that we’ve only been in Phnom Penh for two weeks. Each day feels like a month all to itself. I am seven years removed from all of my China ‘firsts’ and I really do not remember what it was like for everything to be so completely new. It’s as if time has no choice but to slow down in order for me to be able to absorb all the new information - all the details, the sights, sounds, smells, and people.

Not everything has been new. Asia, in many ways, is still Asia. I have been able to assimilate all the Cambodia ‘new’ not just into my United States schema, but also into my China schema. Very little here fits into my US mold, but a lot of it is similar to China.

Yet, Cambodia is so different from China. I see that more and more as each day passes. To me, Cambodia makes China look like the most predictable and orderly country known to man! With only two weeks under my belt that’s not a very informed statement, but for now it’s what I can see and give words to.

The amount of learning in these past two weeks has been extraordinary. I have not only started daily language study but also training in anti-trafficking for sexual exploitation. Our team has heard from several people who are working specifically with exploited boys and girls. Their stories are inspiring and overwhelming. The problems are enormous. As someone said recently, “there will always be more problems in Cambodia.” You can tackle one issue and then ten other serious issues will surface. There is no way to isolate the problem of poverty without intersecting with problems due to lack of education. You can’t work on reaching only sex tourists and not grapple with the supply chain of girls coming from the countryside or neighboring countries. Where does one even begin?

One thing I have taken comfort in these past few days is the fact that I am not the beginning. Many others have come before me and tilled the ground. For many years, people have been fighting for the lives and hearts of exploited and marginalized people in Cambodia and all over the world. I am joining a large Body of workers. ‘Together’ is such a powerful word. ‘Alone’ is scary. And we are not alone! Praise God!

I am eager to learn more from those who have already given so much to the cause. I know my heart will be incredibly overwhelmed at times, but I have teammates here and people all over the world who remind me that we are never alone. There is hope. Change is possible.

Here are some links to some of the amazing organizations we have heard from so far. As things continue here, we will let you know more about what we are learning.

Much love,

Kimberly

Daughters of Cambodia
International Justice Mission
Chab Dai
First Steps

3 comments:

  1. Kimberly - What a beautiful and honest post. You three are our eyes and ears, hands and feet in Cambodia - we will do our best to be faithful on this side of the pond, via legislative action, caring for our vulnerable neighbors and praying for the victims and perpetrators of human slavery to come under the healing and mercy of our loving God. So much love and respect for you guys,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace and Peace Gals,

    I have been reading your blog from time to time and others' comments like the one added above, and I have the same question I had before: why is the gospel missing? It is interesting that your name contains "Grace and Peace." I assume this comes from verses such as 2 Cor 1:2 where Paul introduces his letter with, "Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." However, while I read on your blog about how you believe God is moving and with you in your efforts, I am confused as to why Jesus is not in the picture. I have yet to read on your blog about how you are sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ who offers grace and peace for sinners under the wrath of a holy God. Maybe you are and maybe you have thoughts concerning this, but it would be helpful to read about it on your blog as well.

    You may be doing excellent work in anti-trafficking, and surface change might be effected through your efforts done as Christians, working to influence society and the civil magistrates' decisions to address trafficking. However, without the gospel of Jesus Christ, there is no eternal hope; no eternal change is possible. "Victims and perpetrators" alike cannot "come under the healing and mercy of our loving God" without the imputed righteousness of Christ shielding them from his holy (and properly understood) justice. What are you doing to spread this true "grace and peace" in Cambodia?

    Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear these good reports, R B and K ! We miss you in China, but are glad you followed the Lord's lead to go to Cambodia.
    Mark and I love you and are praying for you.

    Just a word to Brandon....from experience, I have learned that we must not judge anyone's motives or actions until we know all the facts and talked heart to heart with them. I'm glad God looks at us and knows what we are doing whether we write about it in blogs or newsletters or not. Written in love. ;-)

    ReplyDelete